Saturday, October 1, 2011

My Menu Plan and Menu Tips for this Week


I've done my grocery shopping, and I've shared with you what I bought this week. Now it's time to show you how I incorporate that into a menu plan.

Many people shy away from a menu plan because it seems restrictive and, let's face it, life is unpredictable. For those busy times, you can rely on a contingency plan-I call it Operation Convenience. Once you make a commitment to incorporate a menu plan into your weekly routine, you will begin to notice that you will be saving more on food because it will be used more efficiently. We've all met the ancient mystery meat in the back of the freezer before, haven't we?

The truth is, menu plans can be flexible, just so you have a plan showing what meals you will be cooking for the week.  For example: Monday’s meal doesn’t have to be made on Monday-you can switch it up a bit. Just mark the meal off once you’ve made it, and you can still be successful in using what you have. The point is to use what you have in the most efficient way possible so that there is less waste. Wasting food is simply throwing money away.

If you need a little inspiration to get started, here is a peek at my menu plan for this week:

Breakfast
Homemade Breakfast Burritos
Buttermilk Pancakes
Banana Cinnamon Pancakes
Boiled Eggs
Oatmeal
Scrambled Eggs and Toast
(We will often have the “same” breakfast on two non-consecutive days in one week)

Lunch
Shrimp Salad on Lettuce
Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Garden or Romaine Salad with Shrimp or Chicken
Celery with Hummus or Peanut butter and fresh fruit
Leftovers from dinner the night before

Dinner
Shrimp and Pasta
Beef Stew
Chicken Pot Pie
Salmon Patties
Baked Chicken and broccoli
Soft Tacos (beef, chicken, lettuce, cilantro)
Crockpot Lasagna
(Each of the main dishes will be served with salad or vegetables and I also have plenty of rice and beans in the pantry)

Snacks
Celery and Peanut Butter or Hummus
Shrimp Dip and Crackers
Fresh Fruit/Vegetables
Laughing Cow Cheese
Windmill Cookies

To Drink:
Tea
Coffee
Juice
Water

Something Sweet:
Banana Ice Cream

As you can see there is room for flexibility in my plan, and I feel that it is versatile. We always have balanced meals with lots of fresh produce and focus on fresh fruits and vegetables for snack. The key is to buy produce in season and keep it very accessible so that your family will reach for it first.  That strategy has worked for me, and I'm sure it will work for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment