Sunday, December 8, 2013

12 Days of Frugal Gifts: Crochet Gifts

Follow Me on Pinterest

Follow www.TheBudgetQueen.com on Facebook


I’m always crafty, but I become particularly crafty around the holidays when my mind begins buzzing around with gift ideas. Sometimes, I am inspired to make a gift by something I see or by something I find a great deal on. Last week, a really beautiful skein of yarn caught my eye, brightly colored variegated yarn to be exact. I was inspired to warm up my crochet skills and make my daughter a scarf, because she loves anything rainbow. I also wanted to make it fun, so I had to come up with a pattern that was whimsical enough to do the yarn justice. 

Most of the craft stores will have paper, printable or mobile coupons available each week, usually up to 40% or 50% off one item. There is no minimum to spend, so you can use your coupon on one skein of yarn and pay very little out of pocket.

Make sure you check the clearance areas at your craft store. Sometimes you will find yarn there, and since we are focusing on one skein projects, you won't have to worry about coordinating your clearance yarn with another skein.

I found this free video tutorial for a popcorn stitch project and modified it to work for the scarf that would fit my daughter who is six. 



I knew I needed to finish off the edges somehow so I played with the pattern until I found a nice finish. I ended with one row of single crochet, followed by a row of double crochet, and finally a last row of triple crochet with this pattern, 5 together, one, 3 together, one, and so on until the last stitch, which I finished with 5 together to create this edge.
I took just under one skein of yarn and my daughter was happy to have the rest to do her own “project”.

Here are some other one skein inspiration ideas from Crochet Concupiscence just in case you’re inspired to get your crochet hook and do a quick project of your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment