Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Last of the Mohicans

Yes ladies and gents, this will be the last blog post before the launch of the all new and improved TheBudgetQueen.com. My blog will be moving, so after the launch you will be able to access my blog, as well as an archive of all of my previous blogs on the new site. I can't wait for you to see it, it is going to be great! I hope that all of you are able to make it to the Launch Party, Tuesday, March 31st at 5:30-7pm at Tsunami. It is going to be a blast!

This week has been a very busy week prepping for the new site. The one thing that I did learn this week is how difficult it can be to stay on track with your budget when you are so busy, over tired, and over worked. I have worked before, but not like this. Running your own business, you can easily put in 80 hours instead of 40, so balance is very difficult. Organization is the key to success. Not just physically, but with time as well. You have to have a schedule that allows balance in every sector of your life, including your finances. If you don't carve out the time needed each day or each week to work out the details of your plan, then it will not work. This week I was so tired that I just kept away from the stores, simply because when I'm tired I am more likely to overspend just to get the shopping over with. So, I waited until I had the time to make a menu plan, a list, and went to the store. I'm sure I saved myself a lot by doing this.

This weekend we had a Japanese Potluck Party at my house. A few months ago, I was talking to a very dear friend of mine about how we used to give lots of dinner parties when I was still working. Well, once I began staying home with my children, those parties went out the window. Then we came up with the perfect solution. We now do a potluck dinner party hosted by a different couple each month. We choose a theme, like mexican, japanese, etc...and we each bring an appropriate dish. We send out a free e-vite to the whole group from evite.com, this way each person can post the dish they plan on bringing. It's a lot of fun and no one feels like they are spending a lot of money to have a good time.

This weekend I also did my drug store deals at Walgreen's! They had a coupon in the paper for Walgreen's brand double zipper bags 20-50ct for $.99 a piece, which is great. I still had my $10 off Register Rewards coupon from the Huggies diaper deal 2 weeks ago, so I was able to rack up on some real steals. After I got my limit on the zipper bags I had to find more stuff to use my $10 RR, so I started searching for clearance and I hit the jack pot! I found Aim kids toothpaste for $.37, so I bought them all. I know that my kids will use them eventually. I also bought 2 teeth whitening kits for $.50 each and some Crayola Explosion kits for only $2.39 (down from $10). I was quite a happy camper. There were tons of other things on clearance too, like Tom's of Maine Natural toothpaste for just over $1, down from $5+, deoderant, men's shaving products, pet food, Disney coloring pads, etc. Just look for all of the orange tags going up around Walgreen's and try to match them with your coupons. Enjoy!

Have a great week! See you all at the launch!

No comments:

Post a Comment