Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Make Fun Felt Mini Monsters for Halloween

I am always looking for fun craft projects to do with my daughter because she's quite crafty too. This year we decided to create some felt "monsters" to add to our Halloween wreath. This is definitely one of the most frugal craft projects you can do. All you need is felt, a needle and embroidery thread, buttons and some sort of stuffing. We had everything on hand except for the felt, which was 3 for $1 at our local craft store. 

You don't even need a template, just find pictures of Halloween monsters, witches and pumpkins or make up your own crazy creature. There are no rules here, this is the time of year to let the imaginations of your little ones take the lead.



These monsters are really easy to make. Create your own pattern and have fun with it! You can fold the felt in half so that you can cut a front and back side at the same time.




Be adventurous with the felt colors, but I do recommend getting gray for sure. It is one color that I missed and wished I would have included in our collection. 







Choose some embroidery thread in complimentary Halloween-y colors. 










You'll need a good embroidery needle. I found these needles at an estate sale in a grab bag, so they cost me just pennies but they are very nice needles. I find the best craft stuff at estate sales and my very favorite thing is to find the craft items in their original packaging. How I wish 60 cents was the going retail price these days...







You won't need very much stuffing or fiber fill, and you really don't even have to stuff your monsters, but I wanted to because it gave them more character".








We have a collection of odd buttons that I keep in an organizer for these sorts of projects. This project is one that is perfect for buttons of odd shapes and sizes, because it lends personality to your "monster". 




 


The Frankenstein-ish character my daughter made looks just perfect with an easter egg button nose...


This project is frugal and super fun to do. We aren't finished creating yet! We are going to make pumpkins, silly monster faces and ghosts and who knows what else. 

I hope you enjoy making your own mini felt monsters for Halloween.




No comments:

Post a Comment