Tuesday, July 17, 2012

My Frugal Art Project: Three framed pieces for under $5!

I was working on creating a craft nook in my home and I wanted some art on the wall. I didn't want to go out and spend money on ready-made framed art, so I took what I had at home and made my own. 


You see, a few months back I found some wooden frames on clearance for twenty-five cents, and I didn't need them at the time, but bought them anyway because they were such a great deal. These frames were in near perfect condition, but sometimes you'll find clearanced frames with a few blemishes. You shouldn't pass these over without considering if a little paint or marker might bring them back to life. 

It's nice to keep furniture markers on hand to disguise little nicks and scratches on furniture and frames. Look beyond what you see, and examine the potential. You can always paint or embellish an imperfect frame and make it beautiful again. 

 



Now back to the project...

I thought for a moment as to what I could place in the frames and how I could mount the art I chose. I thought about painting something myself, but wanted a quick solution, and it occurred to me that I had some colorful stationary and some scrapbook paper and so I came up with my own version of frugal art.






I looked through my stationary cards and chose some that matched the existing colors in the room, mounted the stationary card on scrapbook paper that I trimmed to size and placed it in a frame. Voila! Frugal Art!  

While the end result may not be fancy, it is nice and it meets my needs.





 


By my best estimates, I figure the cost of supplies I used to create my framed art was certainly less than $5 total for the entire project, and I feel the true cost was around $3. I used three 5 X 7 frames, two sheets of scrapbook paper, three cards and small amount of mounting tape. The process took less than thirty minutes from concept to completion and I am totally satisfied with the results.









I hope this story inspires you to create your own frugal art.



No comments:

Post a Comment