Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Are You Satisfied with Your Child’s Education?

by Nicole Comeaux, GroceryGettersLLC.com

I had so much fun with my children today!! We started our day a little late but who wouldn’t after a two week break? We cooked a big egg and ham breakfast and then got to it. It is not always fun, sometimes we have to trudge through until we’re done, but in the end its worth it a thousand times over. We always start with scripture, then Chloe has a math binder that I created based on the LA third grade GLE’s (Grade Level Expectations) that contains practice in every math standard required. While she does this (I have about 20 minutes) I quickly get a few chores done. Then I sit down and we “have school” for about 1 ½ hours. We start with math because this is what she struggles with the most and I want the freshest brain she can give me. Then we move on to reading. Not because it’s a struggle but because it’s just important. Then we do all the rest of the subjects and sometimes we go in my order and sometimes we go in her order. It is so rewarding knowing that when (not if) that light bulb comes on in her little head I helped! Naomi, the three-year-old gets some of me too when I sit and watch “Your Baby Can Read” with her and then complete the activities associated with the program we watched. That is always interesting because her imagination is always in fifth gear. The fun comes in so many ways but especially in the way we can relate with one another and laugh at the little things.

Home schooling is a choice my husband and I made several years ago and I have never regretted it. When people ask (with a negative connotation, of course) if we plan to keep this up all the way through their senior year our answer is always the same: I don’t know. Every year is a new year. It is not a decision we take lightly and we reconsider if we should do it again the next year EVERY JANUARY! I have been praying lately for a clear and concise answer should I or shouldn’t I do this again next year. I can’t explain in words how I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am in His will to home school again next year. It is because of our convictions that I pose this question to you: Are your children getting the best education available to them? I know it’s not easy, believe me some Monday’s when Chloe has no focus and I struggle to get my point across I can’t help but wonder why God has chosen this route for our family. But You know your child/children better than anyone else and all children excel with individual attention. You CAN do this no matter what you think your patience level is. If your child has any attention deficit issues this is a wonderful alternative than any public or private option out there. I would like you to give this some serious thought and weigh your options. There are many resources out there to help you with the decision and you can contact me and ask me all the questions you can conjure up. If I don’t know the answer I probably know where to find it.

Seriously, your children (and your family for that matter) have nothing to lose and a whole new world to gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment