Monday, December 28, 2009

Hobbies Anyone?

by Nicole Comeaux, owner of Grocery Getters, LLC
www.grocerygettersllc.com

Do you have a hobby that saves you money? I do: cooking. I love to cook. I love finding new ways for old dishes and incorporating my own style into new recipes that I find. My spice cupboard is outrageous and that is my splurge. I don’t skimp on my spices and I am brand specific on certain spices. I know this eats into my budget when I need to restock something pricey but it is part of who and what I am and I refuse to change. My sister loves to come over because she says that she never eats the same thing twice. I love that in my home the kitchen is referred to as “CafĂ© Comeaux” and I pride myself on my original dishes. Honestly, most of them are made on the fly based on flavors/ingredients being used and past experiences either in my kitchen or someone else’s that influenced me one way or another.

Being such an avid cook really helps with our frugal lifestyle. I know that for some of you this is a challenge but being passionate about something can really change your perception. For example, how many of you have hobbies that you do simply because you enjoy doing them and they just happen to save you money? Do you sew? I wish I did. If there isn’t a button involved I’m calling my dear friend Sally who is a whiz with needle and thread. I’ve thought many times that I could save a bundle and add money to my budget if I took up sewing but it doesn’t interest me in the least so I don’t make time to even explore that option.

So, how can you use your hobby to save money? Well, first think about the things that make you passionate. I don’t just mean things that you like to do every once in a while because it’s fun but if you do it to much you’ll get bored with it. I mean something that you do everyday because it is part of who you are. Now, think of how that something can save or make you money.

Do you journal? How about starting a blog? It’s free with blogspot.com and you have the option to invite Google to add sponsors to your blog.

You choose how you want the ads to work for you and get to journaling. So, easy!
Do you enjoy reading? Start a book club. Invite some friends over that are as passionate about reading as you and take turns hosting the gathering. You save money on trips to the library (or eeeks! the bookstore) and you get to have adult conversation about something that is extremely intellectually stimulating.

The options are endless. If you haven’t created your New Year’s Resolution List for 2010 start one today and add: “Find out how and make my hobby can work for me.” I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how enlightened this new year will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment