Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Frugal Education

We all want to try to save money where ever possible, right? We all want to spend more time with our children, right? Have you considered home schooling? Home schooling allows me to spend tons of time with my children but not tons of money. Let’s just consider a few facts.
Think about how much money you spend on school uniforms each year, per child. I spend NO money on uniforms.
How about lunch money do you spend every month? We get creative with leftovers and spend pennies for lunch.
How much money do you spend on gas getting your children to and from school? Obviously, that’s not even an issue with home schooling.
Maybe your children attend a private school because you prefer the smaller class size and other benefits of private education like the inclusion of biblical values. In a public school the teacher/student ratio is usually 22-30:1 depending on the parish. In our home the ratio is 1:1 and we spend the first half-hour or more depending on the discussion at hand learning about and incorporating biblical values into our day and our lives.
How much do you spend on tuition every month/year per child? I spend $450 a year on a great curriculum (ABEKA) which is used by many wonderful private education schools across the nation.
Are your children participating in extracurricular activities after school? My children participate in “after-school” activities but we aren’t stressed about the balance of the activities and homework because our school work is done by noon. I am left with ample time to get dinner cooked, shopping done, housecleaning taken care of, etc. My children can help with all these things and they are learning valuable lessons while we spend quality time together.
There are so many frugal reasons to home school your children. I could go on for days with questions like these. I know this option is not available to everyone but it is definitely worth investigating. If you think your only reason for not doing it is the need for a second income, then maybe you should look at your budget. The Budget Queen can help with that because of the very affordable consultations available.
If you have any questions or concerns please let me know about them and I will do my best to help you in any way I can.

Nicole Comeaux
Owner – Grocery Getters LLC
Nicole@grocerygettersllc.com
www.grocerygettersllc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment