Friday, November 30, 2012

Craftsy Class Review: Beginner Serging





Online Sewing Class

So, it's confession time. I've had a serger machine for a couple of years and never learned how to use it. I love making things and when I found a great deal on my serger, I thought I'd be making all kinds of neat things right out of the box. The truth is, I got overwhelmed and didn't know where to start so I put it back in the sewing cabinet and there it waited. I never had the courage and never set aside the extra time to devote to deciphering the manual and the printed material because I am one who learns from seeing it happen.



When Craftsy offered me the opportunity to take a free Craftsy class, and write a blog post about it I was really excited. I went on to the Craftsy website to see what classes might interest me, and there it was: Beginner Serging: Machine Basics & Techniques with Amy Alan.

Beginner Serging: Machine Basics & Techniques

I was really anxious to get going, and I found that almost immediately, I became more relaxed about the whole process because the class instruction videos are well organized and it was like being in a classroom. I was able to learn about my machine step-by-step. My very favorite thing about the videos is that you can do a quick 30 second repeat, make video notes as you go along, and watch the instructional videos as much as you want because access to your course never expires.

The video lesson walk-through on the parts and function of my serger was so helpful. Amy shows in detail the parts and function of three brands of sergers: the Bernina, Janome, and the Brother. If you have a different kind, you can post a question relative to your machine and she will respond to you and help you along. During this course, you will create a serger stitch book where you will keep a record of all the stitches you learn and the specific settings you used for that stitch on your machine. There are a total of nine lessons and three projects to complete.

I do still need a lot of practice, but I love the fact that I can come back to my course at any time and review the information as I work with my machine and take on new projects.

Most Craftsy classes range from $9.99-$39.99, and your access to the class never expires. If you want to get your feet wet and try out a Craftsy class, there are some mini-classes available free of charge. I am already signed up for the free mini-class Bag Making Basics: Reversible Tote and Zipper Pouch.

From a frugal standpoint, it is important to me that when I invest in Craftsy classes I am able to learn new skills that will save me money over time. Many of the projects I make with using my newly gleaned serger skills will be given as gifts.




By the way, Project Upcycle: Thrifty Sewing Projects is the next class on my list. I love the idea of using sewing techniques and yard sale finds to create something new.
Project Upcycle: Thrifty Sewing Projects - $19.99
Retail Price: $29.99
You Save: $10.00


No comments:

Post a Comment