Sunday, May 16, 2010

Edible Flowers: Planting Day...The Adventure Begins!

By Taffi Chandler "arasmom"
Administrator-www.TheBudgetQueen.com



Today is planting day!

Did you know that Nasturtium blossoms are edible? In fact,every part of the Nasturtium plant is edible except for the root! So, that is my flower of choice for my culinary flower adventure.

I have a book on edible flowers in my personal library entitled, "A Handbook of Edible Flowers: Their Cultivation and Use" by authors Dale and Ziga. I've owned the book for quite a while now, and originally I'd bought it because I was intrigued with the idea of trying flowers in recipes. But I hadn't actually tried it myself until now...

I thought, if I'm going to try this out, I'm going to start from square one. I want to make sure that the flowers I am going to use for food are pure and free of pesticides and chemicals. There is no better way to guarantee that than to grow them yourself.

Which leads us to today-planting day!

(This planting day was made extra special because my three year old daughter was my sweet little helper!)

We took out some Naturtium seed packets as well as some Mesclun lettuce mix seeds and some Zinnia seeds.

Each have a special purpose...you'll see!

We used one of those ready made peat pellet seed starting trays...and added water until the pellets expanded in size...



Then we laid out the seed packets...

*Nasturtiums*



By the way, despite their sweet smell, the taste is described as "hot" and "slightly peppery". I'll let you know for sure on tasting day.


*Mesclun Lettuce Mix*



We are growing the lettuces for the base of our edible flower salad...


*Zinnias*



We are growing white Zinnias...



And purple Zinnias...

Which will adorn our table in a little vase when we are ready to sample our salad...


We artfully arranged our seeds next to our planting station...




And with the help of sweet little hands...



Our seeds were placed into their snug homes.



Ready to soak up the sun.



Live long and prosper, little seedlings. Live long and prosper.

No comments:

Post a Comment